To obtain a position that will afford me the opportunity to grow, both personally and professionally.
I've been working in the information technology industry for quite a long time. This page details some of the skills and abilities that I have acquired over the years.
IT Infrastructure Architect
TrueBlue, Inc., January 2012 – present
- Design of:
- System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) 2012, production and test
- Completely virtualized infrastructure utilizing VMware products (vSphere, vCloud, etc.)
- Lab and Production environments, maintaining separation of both environments, as well as between lab environments
- Implementation of Wiki for System Administration team for central documentation repository
- Worked closely with development teams for infrastructure requirements of upcoming projects.
- Process and guidelines discovery and documentation
- Hardware/software/configuration standardization
- Build process, guidelines and conventions for hardware and operating systems (Windows 2008, 2008 R2, 2012)
- Subject Matter Expert for Active Directory, VMware products, best practices, scripting and automation
- Mentoring and/or training of junior system administrators
- Prepare RFQs for submission to vendors, allowing for budgetary constraints
- Interaction with vendors and partners for sales and support, as well as to stay abreast of industry standards, best practices, and emerging technologies
Senior System Administrator
True Blue, Inc. November 2008-present
- Active Directory administration, troubleshooting and maintenance for two domains
- Administration of both internal and external DNS systems for corporate and child companies
- Work closely with Shared Services support specialists in troubleshooting custom applications
- Review of new technologies for possible use by True Blue, Inc.
- Implementation and management of HP C7000 blade enclosures, utilizing a variety of blade models and operating systems (Windows 2003/2008/2012, ESX/ESXi 4.1 and 5.1)
- Primary management of System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) 2007 R2 and 2012 monitoring packages
- Administration of VMWare ESX 3.5 infrastructure
- deployment of new hosts
- deployment of new clients (servers and workstations)
- included both production and lab environments
- server template creation adhering to company standard server build
- Implementation of vSphere (VMWare ESX 4.1) to Hewlett Packard blade servers for all environments
- Redundant HP C7000 blade enclosures, populated with HP BL490c blade servers
- Installation/configuration of vSphere in highly redundant cluster
- Migration of existing production virtual machines to new cluster
- Continuing virtualization of physical resources to the ESX environment
- Successful pilot of Microsoft Hyper-V and System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2007, Currently beta testing SCVMM 2012
- Build-out of new servers, utilizing HP hardware, MS Windows 2003, 2008, 2008 R2
- Re-use/relocation of current hardware
- Weekly software deployments to multiple environments
- Coordination across several teams in a collaborative team environment
- Design, development, and implementation of custom applications:
- datacenter inventory
- Telecom and Networking vendor tracking
- GEVM (Returns version level of specified software on remote systems)
- MinPro task management
- Centralized password management
- Achieved reduction in power and cooling requirements through virtualization and retirement of aging hardware
- Subject matter expert for scripting, automation, Active Directory, VMWare, Hyper-V, System Center Operations Manager 2007/2012 R2 (SCOM), Group Policy (GPO), Windows security, web services, and performance troubleshooting.
Senior System Administrator
LATEOTT Contracted to EDS February 2005-April 2007
EDS, April 2007-June 2008
- Administration of Legacy Servers
- Maintenance of Enterprise Email with MS Exchange
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) for all versions of MS Exchange
- Administration of MS SQL Servers (cluster and non clustered, version 7 and 2000)
- Backups utilizing Veritas Backup Exec, ArcServe, and NTBackup
- Administration of Enterprise Antivirus solution (Symantec)
- Mentoring/training of Junior Engineers
- Preparation of Legacy Domains for migration to NMCI
- Intrusion Detection utilizing custom software
- Provided assistance to Helpdesk personnel when required
- Software distribution utilizing Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0
- Consolidated many disparate Windows domains to one domain
- Development of custom software solutions for automation of network monitoring and maintenance, Inventory and personnel management software.
MS Project Server Support Engineer, Level 3
Siemens Business Services Contracted to Microsoft July 2004-September 2004
- Support of MS Project Server 2000/2002/2003
- Administration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of MS SQL Server 7.0/2000
- Administration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of Windows networking and Active Directory
- Administration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of MS Sharepoint Portal Server
- Pre-sales technical advice, including topology design, security, and best practices
MS Exchange Support Engineer, All levels
Siemens Business Services Contracted to Microsoft January 2004-July 2004
- Worldwide Level 3 support of MS Exchange 5.5, 2000, 2003
- Disaster Recovery of all Exchange platforms (5.5, 2000, 2003)
- Over the phone and remote control troubleshooting, repair and maintenance of Exchange Platforms
- Over the phone and remote control Swing, Forklift, and In-place migrations of all platforms
- Presales Technical Advice, including topology design
- Basic security "Best Practices" advice to clients
Senior System Administrator
Anteon Contracted to EDS, Contract March 2003-January 2004
- Installation and Maintenance of Enterprise email servers w/MS Exchange (7,000+ Users)
- Mentoring of junior engineers
- Software distribution and inventory with MS Systems Management Server 2.0
- Design, implementation, and maintenance of system/domain policies
- Integration of multiple Windows domains
- Domain migration to Windows 2000/Active Directory
- Maintenance of Symantec Antivirus Enterprise
- Software Update Services (SUS) design and implementation
- Network Security, utilizing best practices and policies
- Intrusion detection utilizing tools present in MS products, as well as utilities I have written
American Medical Response, May 2002-March 2003
- User Training
- Interface with vendors for hardware/software purchases
- LAN/WAN administration, troubleshooting and maintenance
- Troubleshooting and maintenance of servers, workstations, and Lucent telephone systems
- Supervision of junior IT staff
- Development of custom software for various departments (dispatch, ops, billing, admin)
- Troubleshooting and maintenance of mission critical Computer Aided Dispatch systems
- Deskside support for regional assets
Manager of Network Services, Helpdesk Manager
MACROSystems October 2000-May 2002
- Manage customer contracts (commercial/government)
- Manage/Mentor Junior Network Engineers
- Migration of existing NT 4.0 Networks to Windows 2000 (AD)
- Implementation and maintenance of Cisco Gigabit switches (3548XL, 4912 L3)
- Implementation and maintenance of streaming media using Windows Media Services
- Backups of on and off site servers utilizing Veritas Backup Exec 7.x and 8.x
- Expansion of server based storage (addition of new drive arrays)
- Web/FTP site maintenance/creation of new sites for developers and users using IIS 4.0 and 5.0
- Decom and preparation for DRMO of obsolete systems for Military Clients (Cyberscrub and Custom Written Software meeting MilSpec & DOD Standards)
- Network monitoring using HP Openview, as well as software written by me
- Implementation of APC UPS for datacenter
- Assist help desk staff
- Migration from SMS 1.2 to SMS 2.0
- Develop and maintain custom applications with MS Visual Basic6.0
- LAN/WAN Administration
- Helpdesk administration
- Hardware/software acquisition, troubleshooting and maintenance
- Contract negotiations (government/commercial)
- Propose and maintain IT Budgets
- Head of worldwide network operations of MACROsystems
- Designed network topology and infrastructure for DOD clients, with special attention to security of databases and websites.
Senior System Engineer
Hall Kinion Contracted to Laplink.com August 2000-October 2000
- Troubleshooting of Exchange Accelerator software, MS Exchange installations, and Windows NT installations on customer sites.
- Development of work-arounds such as registry patches.
- Submittal of code changes to developer department.
- Directly interface with clients for problem solving.
- Tier 2 support of Exchange Accelerator
Senior System Administrator
Avandel, Incorporated May 1999-May 2000
- Maintenance/streamlining of existing network
- Mail server migration from Imail to MS Exchange 5.5
- DNS, WINS, DHCP, RAS
- Bay Networks switches and hubs, Cisco routers, Cisco PIX firewall
- Installation and maintenance of web servers using IIS 4.0
- Instituted remote software distribution using SMS 2.0
- Design and implementation of network at new location (all functions except pulling cable to desktops)
- Instituted online training system using streaming media on company intranet
- Maintained software library and associated licenses, including updates of software such as antivirus software
- Plan and implement network security, utilizing hardware firewalls and best practices/policies.
- Plan and implement disaster recovery plan
- Interface with multiple vendors regarding purchase of hardware and software
- Implement and maintain Nortel/Meridian telephone system
- Manage IS Personnel
Support Specialist II
Spokane Falls Community College May 1998-May 1999
- Maintenance and repair of networked PC workstations
- Installed and maintained software base on workstations and servers
- Mixed Novell and Windows NT 4.0 Network
- Troubleshoot and repair network anomalies on both the local campus and remote locations
- Implemented Exchange 5.5 Mail Server for limited testing to replace Mercury Mail
- Implemented DNS and WINS Servers utilizing Windows NT 4.0
Senior System Administrator, Help Desk Manager
Protostar July 1997-May 1998
- Install and maintain computer and phone network in company offices
- Install and maintain NT servers and pc’s as well as networks on customer sites
- Performed warranty service for major PC vendors
- Manage helpdesk personnel
- Remote management and training to customer sites utilizing PC Anywhere and MS SMS
- Performed site surveys for potential clients
Senior Support Specialist
Cascade Computer Maintenance September 1994-July 1997
- Troubleshoot and repair Servers, PC’s, Printers, Networks
- Preventive Maintenance for large contract customers
- Installation of NT servers and networks for customers
- Administration and maintenance of NT based networks for contract customers
- Warranty service provider for major vendors
- Phone support for remote clients
- Site Survey for potential clients
- Inventory of large hardware bases, as well as maintenance of inventory database
- Windows NT and networking expert for Eastern Washington region
Electronic Account Processor
Seafirst Bank / Bank of America September 1993-September 1994
- Utilized computerized mailing system to process statements and other mailings to customers.
US Bank November 1992–September 1993
- On time pick up and delivery of proof work and inter-office mail to branches, headquarters, and cash services.
Communications Center Operator / MIS Specialist
United States Marine Corps June 1988-June 1992
- High speed processing of message traffic received via computer and teletype
- Development of message processing software
- Installation / Maintenance of field computer networks utilizing Banyan Vines and LANtastic
- Installation / Maintenance of field phone networks, including PBX and satellite links
- Maintenance Management NCO for headquarters company (99.99% accuracy record)
- Implementation of dialup and high speed links between multiple locations
Computer Operations Center Intern
Marina High School September 1987-June 1988
- Maintenance and administration of IBM 370/138 Mainframe computer system
Some of the finer educational institutions I've attended are listed below.
- Marine Corps Institute, Camp Pendleton, CA
- SQLSoft, Bellevue, WA
- Productivity Point International, Spokane, WA
- Business Computer Training Institute
Here are a few of my certifications. I am always striving to expand my horizons, and as such, this list will grow as time passes.
- Microsoft Certified Professional + Internet (MCP+I)
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
- COMPTIA A+ Certified Hardware Technician (A+)
- COMPTIA Network+ Authorized Technician (Network+)
- Compaq Authorized Service Engineer (ASE)
- Hewlett Packard Authorized Printer Technician
- Tally Authorized Printer Technician
- Printronix Authorized Printer Technician
- Okidata Authorized Printer Technician
I've designed a few applications and websites in my time, and you can view a few of them on the internet. Click on the links below to see the websites.
Online home for a great local acoustic trio, in Kitsap County, Washington.
|Weston Hills Homeowners Assocation
Internet resource for the Weston Hills, Florida Homeowners Association. This site features a fully integrated Content Management System, which allows the site owner to update the content without knowing any html.
|Forty Pound Head
My own personal site, this is an online knowledgebase. This handcrafted-from-scratch content management system helps me to provide knowledge to the world at large. Back-ended by MySQL, the purpose-built web-based application runs super quick, thanks to heavy code optimization and solid back-end archeticture design.
Multi-site personnel management system, allowing tracking of personnel utilizing mobile devices. Also features training calendar and messaging.
|Touch of Reality
Portal/CMS for nationwide automobile club, based on Tacoma, Washington. Features member pages and content management system.
Online survey for car dealership clients, providing free movie tickets for successful completion of survey. Extensive reporting options for site owners.
Originally built to test database queries, KwikKB has been released to the public domain, as an instructional aid for others.
This one is for internal use only. It was written for my employer in order to track physical and virtual servers, online/offline, warranty, tiering, and more.
Did you know that Hermes was the god of communication? This application was named after him, to provide vendor and connectivity tracking information for the networking and telecom personnel of TrueBlue, Inc.
From time to time I get ideas for site layouts, and this is where I store them. All the templates here are free for non-commercial use.
Rameys Yard Care is a great yard maintenance and pest control company in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, for which I built the online presence.
MinPro is short for Miniature Project. This currently-in-development web application, backed by MySQL, is a multi-user, web-based task tracking system.